welcome to our blog, note that all images are copyright of Marcus Foley & Dore Stockhausen.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chaos and Order

This is the work and artist statement for my current exhibition showing at Anita Traverso Gallery in Richmond at 7 Albert St. The real thing is even better so go and have a look!.You have until Christmas

When people say it’s a crazy world, they’re not kidding. Think about it: one minute you’ve nailed the order of things, and you see the sophisticated symmetry, the tidy arrangements that reassure you of structure, that all is well. The next moment, a curve ball hurtles into your vision and chaos reigns. Nature is the ultimate regulator and simultaneously the anarchist throwing everything into turmoil, the magician of pandemonium. It’s impossible to separate the two, even though I initially tried as I approached this theme. I thought I would create separate pieces, some representing the human effort that inevitably falls into a state of chaos and others that signify nature’s ability to effortlessly create ordered perfection. It didn’t take me long to realise that my approach was flawed; it’s impossible to separate the two because chaos and order are symbiotic. I stumbled upon this discovery pretty quickly. Each piece in this collection is a miniature world that translates the concepts of chaos and order into metal, enamel and gemstones. I hope you enjoy the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment